Monday, March 5, 2012

Apply it to Me Monday.. Final Thoughts on Loving them Better

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:6


Over the past week, I've had to hand some anxiety over to God and allow His peace to overwhelm my understanding, or lack thereof.  While I've been in that process, I've thought how valuable of a lesson that is to teach our kids.  Take your concerns to God.  He will guard your hearts and minds


I began a 14 day challenge on ways we can love our kids better, and today I want to give it a few final thoughts.

~ Teach them to take their concerns to God.  A great way to teach that is simply to model that through some of your own siuations and concerns.   Let God's peace be evident in you.

~  Find their interests and encourage them in that.  Kylee wants to be a "pet doctor princess" when she grows up.  She may change her mind several times between now and then, but we encourage it and let her take care of our pets.  Both girls love to read, so we go to the library often so there are always fresh books around the house.

~ I notice my kids get a big sense of accomplishment when I let them accomplish a grown up task.  Kylee loves to help me wash dishes, and even though letting her help doubles the time it takes to finish, I try to let her as often as I can.  It brings her a great sense of accomplishment.  They both love to help cook, so I look for chances to let them pour, stir, etc. 

~ Praise, Praise, Praise!  Speak life over them. 

~ Have a family devotion when you can.  I've learned accomplishing that every night is nearly impossible, but make them meaningful and fun when you do catch that chance.  The other night we made blue jello with swedish fish inside to celebrate Dr. Seuss day.  We read "Red Fish, Blue Fish." After the Dr. Seuss story we talked about a Bible fish story known as Jonah and the Whale.  It turned into a great talk on obedience... and it was FUN!  Devotions can be meaningul and fun.

~ One thing we do as a family is take walks together when we are home.   It gets us away from chores and work life while we catch some fresh air and do something together.  It doesn't have to take long, but is a very intentional way to be together as a family.

Last but not least, trust God in this parenting thing.  We could come up with steps to take to raise 'em right all day long, but without God, it's all meaningless.  He is our source of strength and wisdom.  He gives it generously to those who ask.  (James 1:5)  So, when you are at a loss, turn to the One who brings peace in your anxiety, strength in your weakness, and wisdom along your unsure path.  He loves you. O, how He loves you!  And those sweet babies?  He loves them too.  He loves them enough to partner alongside you in this whole parenting thing. After all, He is the master parent!  I don't know about you, but this mama is far from having it all together.  I'm so glad I can rely on the ONE who does!

Happy Monday!
~Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment