Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Safe in His Arms

Have you ever found yourself in a situation that seemed so unfair and wondered why it seemed that evil prevailed? We can see areas of our government where evil seems to prevail. We read stories of Christians around the world who are imprisoned and mistreated simply for choosing Christ. I have often asked the question, "Why does God allow evil to prevail at times?" Take Job, for example, a man who genuinely loved and honored God, and yet Satan ripped everything from him.

I have dedicated myself this year to read through the entire Bible (yes, I'm behind already) as if I've never read it before. No preconceived ideas, just asking the Lord daily to open my spiritual eyes to His word, and to speak to me daily like never before. A few days ago I was reading in Exodus, and stumbled on a verse that caught my attention.


"But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." Exodus 9:16
This is what God had to say to Pharoah, the one who was determined to mistreat the Hebrew children! The phrase, "raised you up" actually translates "spared you." It occured to me that God could have simply killed Pharoah at any moment He chose. He could have turned the situation to a place that the Israelites would have been free from the beginning. But sometimes God, in His infinite wisdom, allows evil to prevail so He can demonstrate His power and vindicate His name. Sometimes the battle we are in is not even about us, it's about Him and His name!
Throughout all plagues that were inflicted on the Egyptians, the Israelites never suffered. God always protected them. I love the verse in Psalm 55:18 that says, "He ransoms me unharmed from the battle waged against me even though many oppose me." We can emerge from hurtful situations unhurt! I am reminded of the three Hebrew children in the fiery furnace... Daniel in the lions' den... and the list goes on.
So what about your situation? Are you fully trusting God? God could shield us from every little problem or situation if He chose to, but we'd never learn to depend on Him, would we? We would probably be a bunch of spoiled brats running around getting our way all the time! The thought of that makes me laugh! There is nothing in our lives that goes unchecked by God. He sees all and understands all. There will be a day when He will right all that is wrong in our lives, and we will see ourselves emerge from the hurtful situations of life unhurt because our trust and our hope is in Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment