Monday, January 17, 2011

Apply it to Me Monday

This morning I woke up with a reminder from the Holy Spirit of a scripture I memorized when I was a little girl in the Missionette program at my church.  I don't know why when I think of my Missionette experience this scripture stands out over all the others I memorized, but it does.  On occasion, the Holy Spirit will remind me of it to keep my thinking and my conversations in check.  It's found in Philippians 4:8, and this is what it says:

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellenct or praiseworthy - think about such things."

Josh and I talked last night about how it's so easy at times to focus on the negative or hurtful situations we find ourselves in.  If we do not guard our thoughts and our "talks,"  we will soon feel as if the whole world is against us, even when it's not.  So we made a commitment only to focus on the praiseworthy things in every situation.

Many times when we are focused on a negative situation, it is out of our fear and anxiety.  For example, we may see only bad qualities in a particular person, because at the root of our feelings, we are afraid they do not accept us.  We may see only bad qualities in a group or organization because we are afraid we cannot really be included.  We may see only negative realities in a medical situation because we are afraid God cannot really heal us.  The list could go on. I found it so interesting when I looked the scripture up, the verses that precede it.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." 

Heavenly Father, I want your peace to guard my heart and mind today as I strive to think on those things that are noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy.  It's only in your strength that I can do this.  Drive all negative thinking far from my mind, and replace it with your thoughts! 
In Jesus' Precious Name, Amen.


We love all you guys out there, and hope these scriptures encourage you the way they have encouraged us!

~Josh and Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment