Monday, March 28, 2011

Apply it to Me Monday

Compassion. 

That's the emotion God feels toward us.  Our time on earth seems to be filled with trials and disappointments.  Sure, there are lots of happy things we experience, but no one goes through life without feeling some kind of tremendous sorrow. I reflect on the sense of loss so many have in Japan and Lybia.  I think of the fear of a friend facing medical challenges that threaten to completely turn her world upside down.  I think of the sweet man in our church who today is saying goodbye to his wife of many years until he meets her again in Heaven.  I think of those with financial struggles, just hoping to get through the week without seeing their kids miss a meal.  Our temptation so many times is to think God has somehow forgotten us, or maybe even that He is punishing us, or simply that He sees and doesn't care.  We couldn't be further from the truth. 

Today I have such a sense of God's love for me.  Oh, how I've needed to be reminded of His great love! 

 
Isaiah 54:10 says this:
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you.


The Hebrew word for compassion is racham and means "to soothe, cherish, love deeply like parents; small babies evoke this feeling."

Having had a couple of babies of my own, I remember well the feeling of holding those little infants close in my arms knowing there is nothing in my life I wouldn't lay down for their safety, protection, or well being.  I remember how amazed I was at how much love my heart could hold especially after the birth of our second child.  I loved the first one so much, I didn't know how I could love another one the way I loved the first, but my heart had so much love it felt as though it could explode at any moment.  I can remember laying them down in their cribs for a nap, yet staying so in tune with any little whimper or cry that I was ready to rush in at any moment to save the day.

That's how God feels about you, and that's how He feels about me.  He stays so in tune with our needs and longings that from the moment we cry out to Him, He's ready to rush in and save the day.  The same compassion we feel toward a newborn babe is the same compassion He feels toward us.  Just let that sink in. 

He is the God of compassion, and He loves you very much.  Our world may at times crumble around us, but His love will never be shaken.  The God of compassion restores and redeems every sorrow we experience in this life.  For that, I thank Him.

Have a blessed week, and may the God of compassion be especially close to you!

~Josh and Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment