Monday, December 13, 2010

Apply It to Me Monday

Today starts another week in this wonderful season of Christmas!  We love seeing all the lights and decorations.  Having little ones makes those things we may normally overlook especially delightful.  Over the weekend, sweet little Kylee and Aubrey got ahead of themselves and decided to have a little Christmas of their own.  I had wrapped a couple of presents to put under the tree, and while I was in another room clipping coupons, I heard paper tearing.  Afraid they were tearing up a book, I rushed into the living room to find Kylee had completely unwrapped one and was working on a second.  Thankfully, it was the least of any of the gifts we had bought them.  In shock, mixed with a little anger, I sent them both to their room.  When I cooled off, I went to talk to Kylee first, since she had informed me she had to show Aubrey how to open a present.  When I bent down and began talking to her, her beautiful eyes filled with tears, and she said, "Mama, it wasn't a Jessie or a Bullseye."  This kid has been desparately wanting Jessie, Bullseye, and Woody from Toy Story for Christmas.  I had no idea that at 3 she would really be disappointed over her Christmas gifts. This is the first year for us that it has mattered what we give the girls.  At that point, we had Jessie and Woody already waiting to be wrapped. Bullseye was going to have to wait since they are sold out in stores everywhere.  After seeing those crocodile tears, we got on ebay that very night and ordered that child a Bullseye.  We are so thankful that God has faithfully provided for us, and that we are able to bless our children at Christmas.  Our prayer is that He will do the same for you as you trust and obey His will and direction for your life.

God desires for us to give to those around us.  Not just material or monetary gifts, but spiritaully as well.  In the same way that we must receive money in some manner to buy gifts for our children, we've got to receive spiritually from our Heavenly Father to give spiritual gifts to those around us.  2 Corinthians 1:3-5 puts it this way:

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.  For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows."

This Monday morning, my desire is to find comfort in God presence.  I want to be ready to give to those who are needy in a spiritual sense.  However, I know that if I don't spend time with my Father in Heaven, I will not receive what He is ready to give me today, and then I will have nothing to give to others from the overflow of His comfort.

What about you?  Could you find more creative ways to find the comfort that only God can give?  Has this day already jumped off to an incredibly busy start for you, and you feel you can't get that time back until tomorrow morning?  Start right in this moment by simply talking to God and asking Him to be a part of all you do today.  Find moments throughout the day just to thank Him, and to be sensitive and aware of His presence.  I love the times when I can be alone in God's presence for hours on end, but as a mother of a 2 and 3 year old, those times are just not as frequent as they used to be.  This is what I've learned.  I can stay in tune with God in the small moments I find throughout the day and I find His comfort and joy.  I'm not minimizing a morning devotional time with God.  I believe as Christians that is our most important discipline.  I have just learned I don't have to walk in condemnation when I miss it because I have a little one who is usually up when I am and wants undivided attention.  I can still find comfort in my God when I am still before Him in those small moments.

Josh is teaching a class on the book by John Burke called Soul Revolution.  I am so excited about reading the book, sitting in the class, and taking the experiment.  I won't overload you with too many details, so I'll just give you the basic idea.  It's called the 60-60 experiment.  For 60 days, you commit to spend 60 seconds with God every 60 minutes.  Each hour, on the hour, I plan to spend exactly one minute with God today.  You know what's going to happen?  He's going to be the center of my day, and He will pour His comfort into me.  From the overflow, I can comfort others. 

Be comforted this wintry Monday!  We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment