Monday, February 13, 2012

Apply it to Me Monday... 14 Days to Loving them Better

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. 
Proverbs 15:1


A couple of weeks ago, I shared a post about being INTENTIONAL in fulfilling our God given assignments each day.  As a mom, one of those daily God given assignments is loving my children.  It's a daily assignment, and some days it is all God even asks of me. 

I was in a women's meeting a few weeks ago, when a precious woman shared about the fact that we love our kids, but sometimes there are ways we can love them better.  When I look at the phrase love them better I see the word love in a verb tense.  It's not that we don't love them to our maximum capability already, it's just that sometimes in the whirlwind of life we fail to act on it in ways that speak right to our kids' hearts.

Somehow that phrase resonated in my heart and immediately I prayed, "Lord, I want to love my babies better!"  So I've been looking for ways to do that and with Valentine's Day tomorrow, I feel God has given me an idea that will help me be INTENTIONAL about loving them better and I hope it will help you as well.  Since Valentine's Day is on the 14th of February, I am going to take the next 14 days and post a way I am focusing on loving my children better that day.  My prayer is that by the end of the 14 days I have discovered new ways to actively love my kids and that those things will carry over into the rest of my parenting days!  So, if you're up for a challenge, I encourage you to come along with me.  You may even want to leave some ideas of your own in a comment!  I'd love to hear from you!

So, Day 1 for me is the challenge of using gentle words as described in Proverbs 15:1.  When my children are angry at one another or at a situation I do not want to combat anger with anger.  That never works, and is usually what I find to tear relationships apart.  It's tough when my 3 or 4 year old is having a meltdown over something so insignificant.. it's easy to snap.  So today I am praying that God will help me to not snap at my children.  Rather, find ways to be gentle in word and action.

Whatever stage of parenting you are in, even if your kids are grown, there are still ways to love them better!  How would God have you love them better today?

~Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment