Sunday, September 11, 2011

Apply it to Me Monday

I remember well the day of September 11, 2001.  I have a story, just like everyone else, of where I was, how beautiful the weather was that day, and how I discovered the horrific news that America had been struck with terror, and thousands of lives were lost.  I remember it well.

Now that I'm a mama to two of the most adorable girls on the face of the planet, it's hard to reflect on that day without a little twinge of fear.  Somehow as a parent, the thought of tragedy striking in your city or neighborhood instantly raises thoughts of concern for the safety of your children.  I don't fear so much for my life, after all, to die is only gain for the believer.  However, the thought of something happening to the ones most dear to me is unthinkable. 

September 10 is a huge celebration day for us.  It's Aubrey's birthday, and this year she turned 3!

This is her excited face before opening presents.

One thing I have to daily conquer as a parent, is fear.  It may not be fear of something as tragic as 9-11.  It can be in the simple act of leaving the kids with a sitter for 2 or 3 hours.  The thoughts that can invade our hearts and minds are endless. 

I have a flip calendar that I keep in my bathroom by Stormie Omartian called, The Power of a Praying Parent.  Early in the morning of Aubrey's birthday I was thinking about how much I love my kids while at the same time trying to push away thoughts of the 9-11 tragedy.  Yes, I was pushing the thoughts away, because all I wanted to do was celebrate my baby girl in safety and peace.  Then I happened to flip the page on my calendar, and this verse was written there: 

"You will keep him (or her) in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he (or she) trusts in You."  Isaiah 26:3

Wow, what a promise!  We can't know the future, nor can we avoid all tragedies in life.  But the thing we can do?  We can put our trust in a Sovereign, Loving God.  And in return?  We receive indescribable peace that can carry us through the darkest moments in our lives.  Not only does it carry us through the dark times, but it counteracts the irrational fears that threaten to plague our minds.

So, even in light of the scary times we are living in, I refuse to live a life of fear.  God loves me more than I love myself.  God loves my husband more than I do.  And those baby girls?  Loves 'em way more than I could ever begin to love them.  That's hard to fathom, but I'm so thankful that's where I can place my trust!

Just for fun, a picture of Aubrey with her princess toddler dolls.
I guess this was the pose of the day!

Both girls making silly faces.

Place your trust today in the One who is trustworthy, and perfect peace will follow!

~Josh and Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment