Monday, October 17, 2011

Apply it to Me Monday

Y'all.  I almost forgot to post on here this morning!  I never forget on a Monday morning.  I've been really excited about posting this scripture, because God really spoke it to my heart this week through a book I've been reading a book called Sheperding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp.  So far I think it's a great read and it is really helping me to refocus some things in parenting.  Every parent needs a boost like that from time to time.  You can get burned out in your "home" responsibilities much like the way you get burned out at times in your job.  I find an encouraging book filled with insight and wisdom can be a great motivator!


One thing Tedd Tripp emphasizes in this book is drawing conversation out of your child and really hearing what they have to say.  In fact, hearing not only what they say with their lips, but hear what their heart is saying and finding the heart issues that need to be addressed, corrected, or even praised.  This has to be the biggest challenge!  Isn't it typical that we work to keep them quiet when they are little, then when they are teens we beg them to talk, and cannot understand where we went wrong?

There is a verse in Proverbs that addresses this very issue.  I actually wrote it in my scripture spiral so I can memorize it and pray for the kind of understanding it speaks of.

"The purposes of a man's heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out."
Proverbs 20:5

Father,
Help me to love and parent my children the way you love and well, even parent me.  You are our Heavenly Father.  You love our children more than we can even fathom loving them.  Give me the wisdom and understanding in drawing out the deep waters of my little girls' hearts.  Help me refrain from being the only one who is heard in conversations, but let me hear my children, so I can shepherd their hearts and lead them to You in every word and every deed.  Make me the Mom you've called me to be!
In the Precious Name of Jesus,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment